Restoration Agriculture Design Course – June 14-21, 2014
The full Design Course is now full and registration is closed. There are still spots open for the July 2014 Restoration Agriculture Intensive Course.
Savanna Gardens, LLC is is excited to host its second Restoration Agriculture Design Course at New Forest Farm, June 14-21, 2014. Using nature as a model, Restoration Agriculture is the intentional restoration of healthy, functional ecosystems as the context for economically-viable farm operations. Perennial crops, livestock, fungus, and pollinators are integrated to produce abundant food, fiber, and fuel and simultaneously restore critical ecosystem services such as carbon sequestration, water purification and infiltration, nutrient cycling, and biodiversity.
– Full immersion in the theory and practice of Restoration Agriculture
– Keyline design, earthworks, and water management
– Perennial crop establishment, maintenance, and breeding
– Pruning, coppicing, and grafting
– Integrated multi-species grazing
– Renewable energy on the farm
– Restoration Agriculture economics
Participants will have the opportunity to experience life at New Forest Farm, one of North America’s largest and most innovative perennial farm ecosystems located in Wisconsin’s beautiful Driftless region. You will have the opportunity to observe and participate in many aspects of farm design and management including keyline design, livestock management, and the maintenance of perennial crops.
Camping is free on the farm. There will be spots to pitch tents. A campfire pit will be provided in a central location. Composting toilets and a solar shower will be available. Participants are welcome to stay in one of the many nearby inns and bed and breakfasts. New Forest Farm is 25 minutes east of Viroqua, 20 minutes northwest of Richland Center, just over an hour from La Crosse and two hours from Madison.
Tuition for the 2014 Restoration Agriculture Design Course costs $1200 which covers:
– 7 full days of education provided by Mark Shepard and Peter Allen
– Access to a solar shower and composting toilets
– Access to an extensive library of permaculture and ecological agriculture books and resources during your stay.