Savanna Gardens Design Course FAQ
- Will this course be a good fit for me if I live in another biome (tropial, desert, boreal forest, etc..)? It depends! Although the Midwest is known for its former oak savannas, much of pre-human Earth from the tropics to Alaska contained savanna ecosystems managed by grazing and browsing megafauna. Although the details of species and establishment may differ from bioregion to bioregion, the patterns of animal management, tree establishment, and farm business structure are largely convergent. If you are looking for a course to outline precise details of exactly what you should or should not do on your own land, this is probably not for you. If you are looking for a course that will help you make sense of your land and your place on it and give you the tools to make those detailed decisions for yourself, than you’ve come to the right place!
- Do you offer work trades or scholarships? Maybe. We have high fixed costs to run this course that we cannot avoid. Can you bring a significant amount of home-grown organic food? Let’s talk. Have something else to trade? Let us know. Work trades are hard, but if you’ve got skilled labor we can use, we may be able to work something out. We would like to be able to offer scholarships in the future, and are searching for ways to do that, but are unfortunately unable to do so at this time.
- Do you offer discounts for couples who would like to attend together? Sure! We can provide a $250 discount on their combined tuition for couples who register together and don’t mind sharing a bed.
- Any other strategies to lower the cost? There are several strategies that have worked for our students in the past. One is to partner with a familiar church or non-profit whose values are aligned. They may be willing to give you a scholarship. Another strategy is to find someone in your network who are looking for a permaculture-like design for their urban/suburban lot, homestead, or farm. Maybe they will help you take the course in exchange for you helping with their design after you’ve taken the course. There are lots of creative ways to connect capital with those willing to do good things with it. If you’ve got any other strategies to share, let us know!
- Can I bring my dog/cat/pet llama? No, we have enough animals on the farm!
- Can I bring an instrument? Yes, please do! We play music regularly and look forward to late nights around the campfire.
- Who/what is Savanna Gardens, anyways? Savanna Gardens is a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) that Peter and Maureen started in 2012 to provide education and consulting services.